Our Team at Lake Malawi

Our Team at Lake Malawi
Oh what a great time for one and all at the lake

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back from Camp

We are back from camp and getting ready to go on the safari in the morning.  We have to drive to Zambia into a preserve where we will be staying.  It will take about 6 hours.  I am excited about this part of the trip - not the driving on bad roads - but the trip once we get there.  We were able to see Mozambique from across the lake and I understand the lake is a transportation avenue into the Indian Ocean so saw some freighters today in the distance.

It was hard to leave the kids today.  I was still practicing names and faces and hoping to remember them the next time I come.  They are all so precious and the simplest things make them happy.  The ladies and Debbie and I worked on bead necklaces, bracelets and earrings as we had brought most of the items you need to make some pretty neat stuff.  They had a great time sorting through and fixing up what they wanted to make.  We will do that again next year.  It made them feel special to have that little extra adornment.

We took group photos - had devotions and our counseling time together today before we packed up to leave.  We also stopped by an artisan's shop to get some pieces of his work to bring home so we can sell at the Mustard Seed and set him up as a vendor.  Mr. Phillip remembered the group from last year and had some items they had left saved for us.  Even after a year - he remembered and pulled them out.  He takes in orphaned boys and teaches them the craft of building drums, carvings and other interesting African artwork.  You should drop in the Mustard Seed after we return to see the items.

Bethany downloaded all our pics from camp and so far so she can make sure she has good pictures from all the kids.  I haven't had a chance to sort through them - so I am hoping that I have some good ones to share as well.  I was amazed at how well these kids do without the resources we think nothing of having.  When we had counseling some of the older girls would like a Bible (they have the NT) and would like to have an English dictionary as they are learning Chichewa and English.  Many of the kids are eager to learn English as well because at the college level it is taught in English.

I am not sure our connections at the lodge on safari or if I will be able to update - but if I can, I will.

More later.... we are home on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    I enoy very much reading your blogspot - it really refreshes my memory of last year.

    Continue to have a great time in Malawi.

    Praying all your experiences,

    Maris

    ReplyDelete